Welcome to our June Newsletter, featuring news about the ClipMate 7.2 update, a new Spanish translation, and a ClipMate usage tip.
ClipMate 7.2 is a free update for registered users of ClipMate 7.1 or 7.0. It features better support for Windows Vista, several fixes, and expanded multi-monitor screen capture support. But the big feature is "portability". If you have a portable USB "thumb" drive, you can download a special installer that will put the "U3" or "PortableApps" version of ClipMate on the device. This allows you to take ClipMate to another PC and use it there, without having to license that PC separately. This is great when you're traveling, visiting friends, using public PCs at the Library, or bringing work back and forth between home and the office. It's also very handy in a "locked-down" environment where regular users can't install their own software.
The portable version comes in two "flavors": U3, for "U3 Smart" devices (they have a U3 logo on them), and "PortableApps" for devices running the PortableApps menu from PortableApps.Com. If you have a portable drive without either of those, you can usually install the PortableApps menu, as it works on any device, and it's free.
Once installed, you can run ClipMate from the launch menu and ClipMate runs, interacting with the clipboard and programs on the host computer normally. All data is stored right on the removable device. And your registration key resides on the removable device too! So you don't have to worry about leaving your registration key on other people's PCs. Lastly, your user preferences are stored on the removable device as well.
If you are a licensed user of ClipMate 7, your license covers the use on a USB drive. However, that counts as "one computer". We allow you to use a single-user license on up to two computers, so if you already use ClipMate on a Desktop and Laptop, and want to also use it on a portable USB drive, you need to expand your license accordingly, either by adding a "seat" or by upgrading to the "Household Pack".
Adding a seat normally costs $27.95 USD, but for a limited time we are offering a special "Add a Seat" pricing of $19.95 USD at this link: http://www.digibuy.com/cgi-bin/order.html?thornsoft+96179388344
If you are interested in upgrading to the 5-user "Household Pack", we have a
special offer for you also:
We know people who have a whole house full of computers. One for the den, one for the kitchen, a couple in the basement, and a Thumb drive or two! If you have a house full of computers in a residential (not business) setting, we have a new 'Household' license which covers ClipMate for up to 5 computers. It's a bargain at $79.95, but you can 'trade-up' your existing license and save $20 by using the coupon code: V6UP2H_2000. So your cost would be $59.95. Here is the link to use, if you would like to take advantage of this offer: http://www.thornsoft.com/buynow.php?prod=CMPRO5&ec=DIGIBUY The coupon code can be entered on the second page of our order system, right below your address and phone number.
To learn more about the Portable version, including information on how to transfer your existing data and license, visit this page: http://www.thornsoft.com/usb.htm
ClipMate passed the U3 logo certification on its first try, on May 24th. This means that you'll be able to use it confidently on any XP or Vista system, knowing that it won't leave any "junk" behind on the host system when you remove your U3 device.
We're proud to be nominated for "Best Application" in the 2007 Shareware
Industry Awards. We're in great company, with products from Microsoft,
Corel, WinZip, WinRar, and even Sun Microsystems being nominated as well.
You can have a look at the very impressive list of nominees here:
Like most of the other nominees, we're very happy and honored to be nominated by our peers in the try-before-you-buy software industry known collectively as "Shareware".
We had a good response from our March "TrialPay" offer, where you can get
ClipMate for free, by using TrialPay to sign up for services such as TiVo,
BlockBuster, or a Discover card. That offer is still good, and you can
find out more at
It turns out, TrialPay can be used to accept "alternative payment" for just about any kind of service. So if you are looking for an easy way for people to send you payments - for goods, services, or even donations, look into TrialPay. If you decide to sign up as a merchant, please consider using our referral link: http://merchant.trialpay.com/ref?tp=QreQl
Eventually, everybody has to leave the relative comfort of their old PC, and move to a new one. Maybe the old one is too slow, won't work with Windows Vista, or maybe it's dying a slow, loud, and painful death. But sooner or later, it's time to move. Here's how to get it done.
- First, locate your registration key. If you have ClipMate 7.2, it's easy! ClipMate 7.2 has a new button on the About box (under the Help menu) which copies some information to the clipboard, including your registration key information. Click that, and now you have a clip with your registration in it. Now for a little trick: There's other stuff in the new clip that you don't need. So look at the clip in ClipMate's View/Edit pane, and highlight the two lines that contain your name and key. Press Ctrl+C, and now you have another new clip, with just those two lines. Don't worry about spaces up front. Leave this clip as your top clip.
- Next, back up your data. ClipMate 6 and 7 have a built-in backup utility, which can be accessed from the File | Database Maintenance menu. Run the backup, and pay attention to where the backup is located. You'll need to know that. Now you have a ZIP file, containing your entire ClipMate database.
- Move that ZIP file (don't open it up, leave it intact as a ZIP file) to the new PC. Place in your "my documents" folder, or somewhere else where you can reach it.
- Install ClipMate on the new PC, preferably with the latest version available.
- Run ClipMate, and after it comes up, go to File | Database Maintenance, and run the "Restore from Backup". Pick the backup file that you made earlier, and it should overwrite the new (empty) database with your old data.
- Your clip containing the registration key should be the top clip. Go to Help | Enter Registration Key, and it should see your key, and automatically enter it for you. You're Done!
If you have ClipMate on your desktop, and have a newly-installed version on a portable drive, you can quickly transfer your license. Here's how:
- Make sure the desktop is running v7.2 or later. Now shut it down completely using File | Exit ClipMate.
- Run ClipMate on the portable drive. It should now transfer the license from the desktop. If ClipMate asks permission to copy the license to the portable drive, answer YES. Now re-start ClipMate on the portable drive, and look under Help | About, to verify that your license information appears.
We'd like to thank David Lopez for a very nice Spanish translation!
We have two multi-language distributions, one for European (Spanish, French, Czech, Polish, Italian, Dutch, German, Russian, Turkish)
and one for Asian languages (Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional,
Korean). They can be downloaded here:
You can find information on translations on our site:
That's it for now! As always, please feel free to contact us with any
If you would like to unsubscribe from this list, just let us know.
Chris Thornton, President
Thornsoft Development, Inc.
Note: Replies should be directed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Replies sent directly to the list server will be lost. To change your subscription information, visit http://www.thornsoft.com/listserv.htm